Thursday, June 2, 2011

You Don't Know Me

I have tons of pet peeves, and usually, they're tolerable. They don't make me wanna throw someone off a cliff or punch someone in the face, but they do irritate me slightly. THE MOST obnoxious thing ever, though, is when people act like they know me. Namely, extended family members.

It's funny, you know. I come from a fairly large family and I've gotta say, they make me feel more alone than anything else I could imagine. I'm talking extended family, here: cousins, aunts, uncles and the works. The age difference is part of it. Also, the close-mindedness and strong-willed nature (aka slightly obnoxious nature) of our family (which is an awesome trait, when used well) gets to be a little too much to handle. Being the oldest of the young in the family is difficult--I'm in a position where I'm not old enough to go clubbing, but totally old enough to drive/babysit, so you can imagine how family gatherings go.

The best part yet? They never talk to me. They don't even remember my birthday. They never do. And when they do, it's either to (1) Yell to let me know that my status has "sexual undertones" and "could be misinterpreted (like I didn't know that already, I am the one that typed it). (2) I sound too depressed and that I should give it a rest (yeah, great way to convince me to stay alive, guys). (3) That I am insensitive, disgusting, rude and sick and that I owe prayers and apologies to atone for my awful human self (and they wonder why I have a self-esteem problem). And these are people who've raised their own families, lived lives of rebellion that I can't even fathom, they're so insane, and never talk to me on a regular basis, even though I regularly post on their walls to say hello, ask how their kids are doing, or post on photographs, remarking on the absurdity of the passing time.

So don't even go there with me. If you don't even give me the time of day, normally, you don't know me. Not one bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment