Tuesday, June 28, 2011

On Love

Amidst celebration of a new engagement of a very special cousin, the celebration of a grandmother's birthday, the making of lunchtime birthday plans, the growth of relationships through anniversaries, monthsaries, and even the day-to-day, I've been thinking a lot about love and where to find it, and even where to look.

I have this problem with love, you see. And no, I hate to be pinned as one of those girls who's been "wronged" by that one jerk-of-an-ex-boyfriend because in all honesty, that's not the case, unless of course, being young is a mistake. Experiences are experiences, you learn from them and then you move forward. But my problem with love? It's easier to give than it is to take. And maybe that's not such a problem after all, but regardless, if abused, it hurts.

I've been avoiding everyone I know. I've made up excuses, told people I've been sick, just blamed it on my mother, said no multiple times, make-up doctor's appointments, the works, and I still can't seem to shake anyone. I still get the invitations and the text messages and the phone calls, even when I think things have abated or when they've just given up. That's the best thing I've learned from getting my heart broken. The whole "bros before hos" thing? It's there for a reason.

Because when push comes down to shove, I'd choose being loved over being in love any day.

No comments:

Post a Comment