(I'll explain later)
We started off with breakfast at the Ithaca Deli and Bakery at which my sister had a "Soho Croissant" and I had a sun-dried tomato bagel with chive cream cheese (also delicious). Then, we made small talked, took our anti-motion sickness medication and used the facilities and were off to drop off my sister's boyfriend to his dorm at Cornell and hit the road back to Jersey.
They gave me a little bit of a daytime tour of campus from the car, which is absolutely lovely in the fall but apparently weather in Ithaca doesn't always stay lovely in the fall and winter months, so I was appreciative of the fall foliage and the beauty of the scenery. And on to the highway we were soon after, with the trees following us from behind. It was beautiful to see all the colors. I am so lucky we live where there are real trees.
Upon our arrival, my parents were waiting for us at home and we thanked the parents for driving us, thanked them for the trip, and hiked up to our front door where my dad greeted us and also waved his thanks. My mom had made homemade burgers (from scratch!) that were absolutely scrumptious and I rushed to get ready to drive back to school so that I could lead my fellowship group (The Mustard Seeds!) and not be late (and I still was a little bit) and go to Mass (which, I did).
And now, my suitemate and I (Hi, Caitlin!) are in our common room, me typing a blog and her typing a paper and I am happy to say that I feel some sort of contentment. Finished a midterm. Printed out my case studies. Spent a weekend with my sister. Saw Jeremy. Hung out in the fresh air and fall-colored trees of Ithaca. Makes me feel ready for tomorrow and the rest of midterms, for sure!
The best part? Love.
Love is what really made the trip. I realized something while I was up in the boondocks of Upper New York--I could've been any one of those Ivy Leaguers up there. I could've been someone who was at a giant old campus, taking classes, far away from home, walking around "downtown" and heading to parties held by glee clubs on the weekends, but I'm not. I'm at a small school where everything that's important to me has been discovered. If I could do it again? I wouldn't. Period. Everything that matters to me I found here. And I'm tired of thinking "What if?" and now am thinking "Thank God."
Love. That's why this trip was made. It was a sacrifice made for the love of two young individuals who ached to see each other, and honestly, I came along for the ride because I love my little sister. I wanted her to see her boyfriend because that's what I would've needed and wanted if I had one. If I gave my heart to someone for safekeeping, I'd want to make sure they were safe and happy too. That's the end of it, no more no less.
![]() |
| Candid kisses <3 |
So am I exhausted? Yup. Tired? Definitely. Drained? Yeah.
But who cares?
I love you, Monica. Thanks for the amazing weekend.

No comments:
Post a Comment