Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Looking at the Little Things

Waking up the sound of my alarm, I opened my eyes and ears to someone already in the shower. Now, naturally, when living in a college dorm and sharing the bathroom with three other girls something like this is bound to happen, so I rolled over, counted my blessings and was happy for the extra nineteen minutes of sleep. Now nineteen minutes behind schedule and hearing the water turn off, I jumped into the bathroom, turning the water on well before I was even ready to enter, gathering my things and making my claims to shower space.

After my shower, I realized that I wanted cereal, but had no milk, my outfit made me look super short and that the day ahead was looking like it was going to be a really, really long day with assignments due tomorrow, piano pieces needing to be memorized, and homework assignments on the horizon--a fast approaching horizon. Evidently, my day was taking a turn for the worse and I had only just woken up.

But maybe nineteen minutes late, no milk, and a bad clothes day wasn't so bad.

Sitting down in a huff, I woke up my computer and saw the weather predictions of a nice, breezy day. Sunny with a chance (a small chance) of showers, a high of 80-degrees. Logging into Facebook, I put up my daily status of encouragement and proceeded to look through my notifications, laughing at comments from friends and finding a pleasant surprise: an inbox message containing a single confession from an then-acquaintance telling me exactly what I needed to hear.

Slipping into my silver flats, I ran across the parking lot to take a psychology test that I definitely wasn't ready for, finishing early and heading back into the sunshine, finding a seat at a nearby picnic table and writing in my journal, enjoying the sun and the easy spring breeze wafting through my newly shorn hair. Giving myself a rare de-stressifying (yes, I made that word up) moment and allowing for some Vitamin D and oxygen intake. Gotta love that.

What's my point? Today, no point.
I'm just sharing that this morning, I learned that life's all about which little things you look at.

1 comment:

  1. Very picturesque post with very evocative imagery. Makes me want to go to your college instead of mine! I'm glad you make time for the "de-stressifying" moments - and making up word is beneficial for the psyche, I'm convinced.

    Nineteen is my lucky number. I'm glad you specified.

    Have I told you lately that you're stunning inside and out? Because you are.
    <3.

    ReplyDelete