"I am like a flag in the center of open space.
I sense ahead the wind which is coming, and must live it through,
While the creatures of the world beneath still do not move
in their sleep:
The doors still close softly, and the chimneys are full of silence,
The windows do not rattle yet, and the dust still lies down.
I already know the storm, and I am as troubled as the sea,
I spread myself out, and fall into myself,
And throw myself out and am absolutely alone
In the great storm."
Rainer Maria Rilke
While I don't quite know what this poem is about, I do know one thing: solitude isn't always a bad thing. Weathering storms and surviving gives you experience. And while being alone is irritating and sometimes not exactly what you want when you're a freshman in college and trying to find your life-long friends, alone and lonely are two different things.
![]() |
| If you look to the sky, someone's always there. |

Alone and lonely are always two different things, not just in a college dorm room trying to wade through the gulf between you and the rest of the world. That may be when it's the most obvious, but it's an ever-present thought.
ReplyDeleteI like being alone. It's loneliness that kills, and which can find a person in a very lively room.